How to download and play flicker-free Elite, on both the BBC and Commodore
Here's what you need to enjoy Elite without flickering ships, on the BBC Micro, Acorn Electron, Commodore 64 and Commodore Plus/4.
For the BBC Micro, BBC Master and Acorn Electron, you can play flicker-free Elite right here in your browser, or you can download disc or tape images for use in a real machine or an emulator. Most versions have both flicker-free ships and planets, though some only have flicker-free ships (as indicated). Here are the links:
- Flicker-free BBC Micro cassette Elite (ships only)
- Flicker-free BBC Micro disc Elite
- Flicker-free BBC Micro disc Elite on the BBC Master
- Flicker-free Acorn Electron Elite
- Flicker-free 6502 Second Processor Elite
- Flicker-free BBC Master 128 Elite
- Flicker-free BBC Master Compact Elite
- Flicker-free Elite-A (ships only)
To load flicker-free Elite on a BBC, simply insert the disc image and press SHIFT-BREAK (or SHIFT-F12 on most emulators). To load the tape image on an Electron, refer to the instructions for your emulator or hardware tape simulator.
For the Commodore 64 and Commodore Plus/4, both ships and planets are flicker-free. You can download disk images of flicker-free Elite from the following links:
- Flicker-free Elite on the Commodore 64
- Flicker-free Elite on the Commodore Plus/4
Head over to the flicker-free Elite GitHub repository for details on how to load these images.
Flicker-free Elite has had the following releases:
- 2021-03-29 - Initial release of the BBC Micro versions
- 2021-04-27 - Initial release of the Acorn Electron version
- 2021-08-20 - Initial release of the 6502 Second Processor version and Elite-A
- 2022-09-03 - Initial release of the Commodore 64 version
- 2022-09-06 - Initial release of the Commodore Plus/4 version
- 2023-02-17 - Intial release of the BBC Master version, with flicker-free planets
- 2023-02-18 - Fixed a bug in the BBC Master version that could sometimes corrupt the launch tunnel
- 2023-02-22 - Updated the BBC Micro disc version on the BBC Master with flicker-free ships and planets
- 2023-02-23 - Updated Teletext Elite with flicker-free planets
- 2023-02-23 - Updated the 6502 Second Processor version with flicker-free planets
- 2023-02-27 - Updated the Commodore 64 version with flicker-free planets
- 2023-02-28 - Updated the Commodore Plus/4 version with flicker-free planets (version Π)
- 2023-03-07 - Updated the Acorn Electron with flicker-free planets, the escape capsule animation, single-pixel stardust and high resolution planets
- 2023-03-14 - Updated the BBC Micro version with reduced-flicker planets
You can check the release for a given disc image by loading the disc and typing *TYPE README to display the credits. The build date is at the end. If there is no build date in the README file, then it is an initial release from 2021.