Here's a quick history of the development of this site, with the most recent additions first:
- Aug 2021: Elite-A and associated deep dives added
- May 2021: Executive version added
- Apr 2021: BBC Master version and associated deep dives added
- Apr 2021: Acorn Electron version and associated deep dives added
- Mar 2021: Code comparison section added
- Feb 2021: BBC Micro disc version added
- Jan 2021: 6502 Second Processor version and associated deep dives added
- Dec 2021: More deep dives and code statistics added
- Nov 2020: Improved cross-references and linking
- Oct 2020: More deep dives added
- Sep 2020: Website launched with BBC Micro cassette version
- Aug 2020: Fully documented source code for the BBC Micro cassette version released on GitHub
- May 2020: Forked Kieran Connell's elite-beebasm project and added Paul Brink's commentary
Next steps for this project
This project is a work in progress. Here are my current plans:
- I'd like to write a top-level view of how Elite works, for the more casual reader. Deep dives and source code are all very well, but it can be a bit forbidding to non-coders.
- The commentary needs tidying up and clarifying in places - there are one or two areas where the code is documented in terms of explaining what the code does, but I'm still trying to get my head around exactly how it works, so those areas still need addressing.
- I'm planning to write more deep dive articles, as well as expanding the ones that are there. There is so much more to say about this masterpiece, from explaining the program flow to analysing how much of the code is devoted to each type of functionality.
- I'd like to bring the ships to life by incorporating 3D models instead of the rather code-heavy ship blueprints. That should be fun to code...
Watch this space!